I’m back from the 10thCosmoprof North America July 22-24 in Las Vegas, and here are 20 things I now know.
1. Officially, the trade show featured 856 exhibiting companies on a sold-out show floor along with more than 25,000 attendees—a 9% increase over 2011.
2. CPNA 2012 hosted PBA Beauty Week from the Professional Beauty Association, featuring the North American Hairstyling Awards, PBA Symposium and BEACON. All three events saw a record number of attendees. More than 3,000 guests attended NAHA 2012. To see the winners, click here.
3. More than 500 people attended CPNA 2012 educational seminars, including the sold-out stores tour I was involved with and the social-marketing seminar I moderated.
4. Dave Albers at Graham Professional Beauty Products celebrated 30 years in the beauty biz at this year’s show.
5. Graham Professional Beauty Products rep-award winners are: First Annual Dale Weaver Excellence, Dick Zurchauer, VNC Sales & Marketing; Rep of the Year (for the second time in the past three years), Brett Cohen, CFN Beauty Representation; Rep Group of the Year: VNC Sales & Marketing Midwest.
6. The 2012 Discover Beauty Award went to Layla Cosmetics from Italy.
7. Three Discover Beauty brands, Marula—The Leakey Collection, Recipe for men and Fairiche, were selected for a Discover Beauty pop-up store on BeautySage.com, the new ecommerce site co-founded by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Michael Roizen.
8. Sally Beauty Supply recognized four vendors as “Partners in Progress” at a breakfast there: Andis Co., American International Industries, Namaste Laboratories and Hand & Nail Harmony.
9. Liz Fraker is now Hot Tools’ western regional sales manager.
[Image: Courtesy of Cosmoprof North America]
10. Yes, the City of Hope was certainly memorable. However, the event that honestly was the most fun for me was the Mitch Stone Essentials/J. White launch party in The Foundation Room at Mandalay Bay.
11. With the largest increase in CRACK distribution for 2011-2012, Southeast Rep Services’ Bill Harper is ProLocks USA’s “Most Addictive Rep of the Year.” (I truly enjoyed writing that sentence!)
12. Aaron Flick is working at Wahl Professional as a marketing associate.
13. Peninsula Beauty will open its first San Francisco store Aug. 8.
14. The CosmoProf division of Beauty Systems Group will open store No. 1,000 in Port St. Lucie, Florida, Aug. 22.
15. Michelle Lamey is derma e Natural Bodycare’s new North American beauty sales manager.
16. King Research is now called BlueCo Brands.
17. Bio Creative Labs is now repped by Greg Dawson & Associates in four territories and Gerry Udell Inc. in the Northeast.
18. Distributors, check in with PBA to sign the “Code of Ethical Practice For Distributors.” A lot did at the Distributor Forum at the show.
19. For those heading to Italy for business next spring, Cosmoprof Worldwide Bologna is March 8-11, 2013.
20. Cosmoprof North America 2013 will take place July 14-16 at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Convention Center in Las Vegas.