If you’re a high-end beauty retailer, I urge you to spend time at Cosmoprof North America 2012 later this month in the Discover Beauty program area inside Pavilion A. Tear yourself away from that industry rep who’s likely attached himself to you at the waist and won’t let you leave Pavilion D, and cross over into this oft-misunderstood “show within a show.”
Yes, you are, indeed, allowed into the Discover Beauty program area. And no, nothing will happen to you once your feet touch the program’s clean, white carpet. It’s not like you’re out of the baseball field’s boundaries in the movie Field of Dreams—in big trouble.
First, however, some background: Discover Beauty matches leading specialty retailers with up-and-coming selected beauty brands from around the world. Many brands are cutting edge; some are unique. A few are what are called affiliates. CPNA organizers arrange prescheduled sales meetings and networking events between the leading retailers and the brands during the show. (Affiliates, which have limited distribution already, aren’t guaranteed prescheduled meetings.) But ALL SHOW VISITORS are invited to DISCOVER these brands. Beauty Store Business editors will be there too.
OK, so who are the retailers in the program? This year’s retailers are APOTHIA, BeautySage.com, C.O. Bigelow, Duane Reade, HauteLook, Henri Bendel, HSN, NewBeauty at Fred Segal, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Spa, Pharmaca, Skins 6|2 Cosmetics, Wynn Apothecary and Zappos.
And so what are the brands in the program? This year’s brands hail from seven countries, including the United States. Here’s the lineup:
- Beautécam is a social application for a smartphone that allows someone to check their skin type and search for people who have the same complexion. This innovative service provides information—such as skin type, oil balance and moisture level—by analyzing images taken of the skin. The user can then share results on social-networking sites.
- BioElixia is a new scientific brand developed from more than 10 years of biotechnology research. Its patented TPM Delivery Technology is the foundation of its BodyShaper product—a revolutionary cream that’s scientifically proven to reduce the bumps and dimples associated with cellulite in 28 days.
- Caribbean Joe Skin Care for the face, bath and body are new collections inspired by the Caribbean islands. Each product is specially crafted to capture the natural beauty of the dazzling white sands, crystal blue waters and scents of the region.
- Fairiche gives women the tools for younger, smoother and more radiant skin. Utilizing new-formula technologies and innovative ingredients, the brand creates problem-solving skincare platforms—all enhanced with skin-luminosity benefits. The formulas are developed with a luxurious sensibility without sacrificing performance. Fairiche uses safe, efficacious actives.
- Fiberwig is beyond mascara—it’s paint-on false lashes. Known in Japan as the “instant eyelash extensions in a tube,” Fiberwig is engineered to create the perfect lashes with twice the amount of micro-fine interconnection fibers. In addition, the long-lasting film coat around customers' natural lashes never smudges and can be easily removed with water.
- GOLDFADEN MD is marketed as the only physician-strength, dermatologist-developed, natural-skincare line. The highly efficacious, nonprescription skincare solutions utilize state-of-the-art technologies with active plant cells and antioxidant-rich botanicals. The line is inspired by treatments developed in Dr. Gary Goldfaden’s dermatology practice.
- HEVIA MD SKIN SCIENCE—created by Dr. Oscar Hevia, cosmetic dermatologist and founder of The Hevia Center for Research—uses scientifically-formulated active ingredients to help prevent skin aging and encourage rejuvenation. Highly effective and innovative, it contains proprietary, patent-pending and exclusive ingredients.
- Layla Cosmetics has been creating trendsetting and cutting-edge products from Milan for more than 70 years. Fusing the latest in technology along with an Italian-fashion influence, Layla reveals its newest collections—including nail art—for the first time to the U.S. market.
- KARORA Cosmetics offers a natural-skincare approach to faux tan. KARORA’s botanical-bronzing collection delivers custom-color technology with natural and organic bronzing formulas along with signature ingredients of açaí berry and argan oil to give customers a beautiful, health glow.
- Marula The Leakey Collection is an oil that’s marketed as delivering higher levels of antioxidants than argan or grape seed oil, and offering better absorption and hydration. Clinically-proven and physician-endorsed, this product offers superior protection against environmental stressors and damaging free radicals that can lead to signs of premature aging.
- NIKI SAINT PIERRE Botanical Cosmeceuticals is a line of intensive, facial overnight treatments that support the skin’s natural functions, restores nutrients and revitalizes suppleness. It’s free of parabens, mineral oil, synthetic fragrances and coloring.
- Recipe for men—created by men specifically for men—is pure hydration and energy for the skin. Developed in Scandinavia, the formulations are carefully selected to fit a man’s needs. With oil-free textures that guarantee quick absorption and minimize shine, Recipe for men stands for logical skin care without fuss.
- Scarlett & Greene—made with pure ingredients—is one of the hottest natural, youth skincare ranges. Combining science and nature, it’s specifically formulated for the younger skin of 13-year-olds to 25-year-olds. The unisex range is simple, effective and leaves the skin clear and fresh.
- TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup was founded in 1981. With the introduction of the AIRpod Makeup System, TEMPTU has revolutionized makeup application. It’s fast and easy to use, and in just three steps and less than three minutes women get results that are flawless.
- Violent Lips is one of the fastest-growing trends in beauty, and is being hailed as the “future of lipstick” by Allure. Available in various designs, these unique cosmetic-grade lip appliqués are easy to apply, last up to eight hours and have a smooth glossy finish.
Also, new this year to the Discover Beauty program area is the SPOTLIGHTS exhibit space, designed to showcase small, artisan labels that are a prime fit for high-end beauty retailers. The inaugural lineup offers brands from eight countries, including the United States: Acquarella; DoshaCare; eyeslices; Greenland; la cc by La Couleur Couture; LaVie Organique; Lily.B Skincare; Line N Grow by Lashious; LVX; Mama Mio; NIA24; PeaceKeeper Cause-Metics; Pure Earth Minerals; Royal Apothic; RSD Group Champs Elysees Paris/RENOV'SMILE; Sans New Generation Ceuticals; Senteurs D’Orient Luxury Soap; Shea Terra Organics; and Triumph & Disaster.
[Image: Cosmoprof North America]